REEF has been doing online and virtual programming since 2011 through our Fishinar program. In 2020, we launched a new type of online programming called Fishy Hours. Below you will find the schedule of our upcoming offerings. Unless stated, all of REEF's online programs are an hour (be sure to note your local time zone) and all sessions are recorded and archived. So what's the difference between Fishinars and Fishy Hours?
Fishie fun in the comfort of your own home. These short, free marine life identification webinars will help you know who is who underwater. Information is presented in a fun and accessible way, and Fishinars are open to divers, snorkelers, and devout landlubbers alike. Anyone wanting to know more about ocean life is welcome to join in. Great for first-time REEF surveyors, or those wanting a review. In addition to marine life identification sessions for all of REEF's project areas, we also feature guest speakers who present a variety of ocean topics.
Launched in 2020 when many were missing opportunities to get together in person, REEF created a new suite of online programming that is less structured than the class format of Fishinars. Offerings include Jeopardy-style games focusing on ocean topics, Fish Face-to-Face social hours, Virtual Workshops, and more.
A Few Important Points
- Although all of REEF's online programming is free, you must register for each session you'd like to attend. Click on the REGISTER link given in the descriptions below
- Fishinars and Fishy Hours are open to everyone. However, you need to be a REEF member to access the archived recordings and Fishinar Cheat Sheets
- If you aren't yet a member, join today. It's free - www.REEF.org/join
- Fishinars are run through the Citrix GoToWebinar platform. Fishy Hours are run on a variety of platforms, primarily Zoom and GoToWebinar.
- Once you register, you will receive a confirmation email with details on how to log on
- Please log on at least 5 min prior to your session start time if possible
- You don't need a microphone or a webcam to be able to participate in Fishinars; some Fishy Hour programming will have some interactive options that will require a webcam and microphone
- iPad, iPhone and Android device users - there is a free Citrix Online GoToWebinar app that will allow you to view our Fishinars, but the interface does not support full participation (you won't be able to raise your hand, type in questions or answers, etc.)
- Test to see if your computer/device meets the minimum system requirements by clicking here.